Director of Partnerships
Sales & Business Development
Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2024
Our mission is to increase the success rate of small businesses. Traditional banking has been a growth limiter rather than a growth enabler for business owners, and we’re changing that. Relay is the all-in-one, collaborative money management platform. We’re building for employer SMBs and their finance function, internal and external, and are focused on delivering a human-centric customer experience. Ultimately, we help SMBs be ‘on the money'.
Relay is looking for a relationship-driven and revenue-minded leader to establish and own our Partnerships function from the ground up. This is an opportunity to set and steer the Partnerships strategy at Relay, run the roadmap from end-to-end, and ultimately drive an outsized business impact for our company. We’re building the leading banking and team spend platform for employer SMBs in the United States — this position will play a crucial role in expanding and deepening Relay’s footprint in the SMB ecosystem, owning a key lever to business growth.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Founding and owning a world-class Partnerships function at Relay. You’ll define and lead core practices and initiatives to drive material business impact and long-term customer value via our partnerships program.
- Leading a Partnerships strategy that spans vendor/technology partners, SMB industry partners (e.g. BIAs, professional networks) and high-profile referral partners (e.g. formation companies).
- Systematically prospecting relationships across key vendor and industry partners, and owning those opportunities from end-to-end, including contract negotiation, execution and reporting on results.
- Creating proposals and pitches that entice leading players in our ecosystem to partner with Relay. Telling the story of Relay’s value and in a way that’s compelling and puts us on the map with top-tier partners.
- Creating the playbook for a best-in-class partner experience. Setting and maintaining the quality bar for partner management.
- Leading cross-functional initiatives to bring key partner activations to markets. Work closely with product, marketing, sales and other teams to ensure project success.
- Building technology plans and strategies to support integrations with key vendors in our target segments and in the SMB financial technology ecosystem as a whole.
- Defining, monitoring and reporting on partnership KPIs. Create measurable impact, including customer growth and revenue, from your partner strategy.
- Build and own the strategy for the long-term Partnership growth and define the future of the function.
Who You Are:
- 8+ years experience in Partnerships, Business Development, Sales or a similar role.
- You’re a relationship-based seller who enjoys building and nurturing long-term connections. You have independently owned complex partnerships with senior leaders that drove material company impact.
- Product and customer depth: you deeply understand the customer and their pain points, and use that understanding to inform partnership priorities.
- Strategic thinking: You understand the market and a macro level, and are able to identify and prioritize opportunities to own segments of the market via partnerships.
- Systematic execution: You are a strong project manager who can navigate internally to bring a project to life and coordinate internal stakeholders to deliver within timelines.
- Metrics-oriented: You create tangible company and customer value from the partnerships you build. You don’t shy away from quantitative targets.
- Experience in the fintech and/or SMB space
Research shows that women-identifying and other marginalized individuals tend to only apply when they meet 100% of the qualifications; if you don't have all the listed qualifications, we encourage you to apply anyway!
Our Commitment To You:
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity: every team member gets a piece of the pie.
- Comprehensive health benefits: we offer full health benefits + an HSA/WSA starting from day 1 so you get the coverage you need.
- Considerable vacation/end-of-year holiday shutdown: we take time off to reset and recharge so we come back better for our customers.
- Hybrid working environment: we love collaborating and connecting in office two times a week and offer bi-weekly catered lunches and a snack/beverage program for the days we’re in office.
- Personal and professional growth: support from leaders who care about your growth and success through regular feedback and coaching. Our goal is to make Relay a step-change career opportunity.
- Top-tier equipment: we’ll make sure you have everything you need to produce your best work.
- Team-first culture: we’re passionate about working collaboratively, bonding through team events, and most importantly having fun.
The Interview Process:
- Stage 1: A 30-minute Google Meets video call with a member of the Talent team
- Stage 2: A 60-minute Google Meets video call with the VP of Marketing
- Stage 3: A take-home case study + writing sample followed by a 1-hour presentation of your solution.
- Stage 4: A 45-minute Google Meets video call with a member of the Leadership team
What’s Important to Us:
At Relay, we believe that diversity is key to building high-performing teams, and creating an inclusive work environment is our priority. We are an equal-opportunity employer and we welcome people of diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
We will work with applicants to provide accommodations at any stage of the hiring process. If you require accommodations during the interview process, please email your People Team contact, and we will work with you to meet your needs.