Software Engineer, Backend
Oleria is an enterprise cybersecurity startup that raised $8M in seed funding led by Salesforce Ventures with participation from Tapestry VC and industry luminary angel investors. We recognize that identity based attacks on software as a service (SaaS) applications are becoming increasingly common, highlighting the importance of addressing access risks to prevent data breaches. Traditional access management methods are human-intensive and often have significant unidentified gaps, making it challenging to manage access risks effectively. At Oleria, we are on a mission to revolutionize access control tooling for enterprise SaaS applications, aiming to reduce the opportunity and scope of data breaches drastically.
Oleria was founded by notable industry senior leaders Jim Alkove and Jagadeesh Kunda, with deep security, data, and SaaS experience building and securing some of the world’s largest platforms and products used by billions of people worldwide every day. Our customers are Fortune 500 corporations and public sector organizations, making your contributions vital to improving data security for millions worldwide.
As an early hire, you will have an opportunity to build as well as help architect our systems and platforms, including our development practices and processes. Many fundamental choices have not yet been made, so this greenfield background is an unusual opportunity to have broad ownership and ability to define requirements and goals for across product delivery, tools, and process..
Above all, you have a bias for action. You love getting product out the door and learning from tight feedback loops, and love the satisfaction you'll receive from knowing that your contributions are directly improving the security of data for millions of people in the world.
- Design, prioritize, and build infrastructure and services to support end to end experiences. Deployment target is currently AWS, though we may expand to additional public clouds in the future.
- Data is our life - much of our stack is related to data import, transport, cleaning, storage, analysis, and learning. This is not however typical ETL - our bread and butter is sophisticated security analysis on user behavior, and are data sets are petabyte vs terabyte scale, so multi-layer distributed systems able to drive real-time analysis and alerting are the norm.
- Work with our team to create, design and implement a world-class development lifecycle, architecture, and toolset, from initial concept through DevSecOps delivery
- Define service architecture and APIs to implement the above
- Understand and participate in tradeoff discussions, but have the courage to stand behind principles and values that you believe cannot be compromised on.
- 3+ years of professional experience in backend development
- Experience in cybersecurity or SaaS industry, especially with Access, Identity and Governance would be a plus
- Strong understanding of RESTful API design principles
- Strong understanding of industry best practices across entire lifecycle from idea to design to development, as well as test, deployment, operations, monitoring, and incident management
- Have shipped and operated high-scale commercial SaaS products, with all that entails
- Understanding of core networking, data transport and persistence systems and methods at scale, particularly noSQL
- Broad direct experience with at least one public cloud platform - AWS preferred, Azure, GCP, and modern deployment tooling (CI/CD, containers, Terraform, etc.)
- Deep understanding of performance, privacy, scalability, HA/DR, instrumentation, logging & alerting, and other requirements of industry best practice enterprise scale products and services
- Understanding of industry best practice security and privacy and data governance requirements and practices
- Familiar with secure development practices, from coding to artifact generation to deployment
- Ability to work and thrive in a fast-moving world with ambiguity and potential change as daily companions
- BS, Masters, or PhD in computer science or related, or equivalent experience
- Experience or strong interest in ML/AI and what it takes to deliver in end products
- Building and operating large-scale distributed systems, with live HA/DR
- Familiar with multiple identity and access management systems
- Fully automated CI/CD pipelines, with IaC (Infrastructure as Code) methodologies - Terraform/Helm, Pulumi, etc.
- Experience building, deploying, and/or operating highly secure deployments, e.g. SOC 2, FedRAMP compliance
What we offer:
- Competitive salary, equity, and benefits package.
- Opportunities for professional growth and advancement in a fast-growing company.
- The chance to work directly with our co-founders and contribute meaningfully to shaping the company’s direction.
- A collaborative and dynamic work environment with a dedicated team of professionals.
The annual compensation range being offered for this role depending on individual candidate level and experience is $120,000 to $200,000 including base salary and equity.