We’re living at the dawn of a borderless world, but most people still don't have the tools needed to engage in critical high-trust services including everything from access to financial services, to sharing assets in peer-to-peer marketplaces, and even managing talent. At MetaMap, our work is centered on addressing this gap by building an identity data protocol that surfaces merits in the form of legal, financial, and work data. We’re energized by the unlimited potential that comes from this collective coordination, the removal of barriers to access, and the future we’re building towards — one that is interconnected and equitable. If you believe in our mission to help unlock borderless growth too, come join the MetaMap team!
About the Role
Within the dynamic landscape of MetaMap, we are actively seeking a Principal Engineer who stands as the guardian of our technological evolution.The focal point of this position is to usher in technological progress, unburdened by considerations of people and logistics that can often influence technical decision-making.
MetaMap centers on data. This role lets you work with captivating data, build advanced systems, and potentially publish-worthy research. You'll shape a tech leadership identity (papers, conferences) while enhancing Metamap's engineering distinction.
What You Will Do
- As the Principal Engineer for MetaMap, assume complete ownership for the technological direction – an accountability that extends from the inception of a concept down to every meticulously crafted line of code. This encompasses all aspects of technology without being influenced by who contributes or when they contribute.
- You will be responsible for writing code for the most intricate and mission-critical systems, as well as crafting design documents for these high-complexity systems. Additionally, you will conduct thorough reviews of design documents for other systems, providing detailed and thoughtful feedback to uphold exceptional quality standards.
- Your influence goes beyond the confines of Technology alone. You will take the mantle of nurturing the technical growth of engineers who serve as individual contributors. Through mentorship and guidance, you empower these engineers to critically evaluate their design choices. This holistic approach ensures that a culture of deep technical discussions thrives, eventually translating to pride in craftsmanship in every facet of the organization.
- As a member of an innovative team in this swiftly expanding business, you will play a pivotal role at MetaMap in comprehending the needs of our customers. You will help shape the future of businesses of all sizes as they utilize your technology to connect with their customers, employees, and partners.
- Become a trusted advisor as part of the company leadership and sole point of contact for engaging with all technology stakeholders at MetaMap. Understand customer, product, and business priorities and translate them to drive short and long term technical decisions across the entire engineering organization.
What Are We Looking For
- Experience: Bring your 12+ years of software development experience to the table as you navigate complex challenges and devise innovative solutions. You have built large scale distributed systems, data pipelines, and analytics platforms.
- Abstract Thinking: Strong mathematical foundation in algebra, geometry, and calculus. You are comfortable with higher-order functional programming and opportunistically apply theoretical concepts from computer science like lambda calculus and pi calculus. Your abstract thinking skills allow you to smoothly move between diverse deep tech domains.
- Strong Communicator: You excel at understanding the broader context, breaking down complex problems, and developing a clear plan. You are able to articulate your thoughts clearly and are able to help others achieve the same. You're not afraid to seek help when needed.
- Quality Craftsman: You place a strong emphasis on ensuring code quality through rigorous code reviews, code coverage, test coverage, and CI/CD practices.
- Polyglot: You are comfortable reading, writing, or learning any programming language, framework, or platform. You have a “it’s just code” attitude and are not intimidated by any form of software.
- Execution Master: You have the ability to work with teams to deliver high-quality end-to-end systems that operate at scale. You are comfortable navigating ambiguous situations and making decisions to build and maintain momentum.
- Lifelong Learner: You have a deep love for certain technologies but remain open to learning new ones. You enjoy sharing your knowledge with others and fostering a culture of continuous learning.
- Technical Mentor: You promote a strong IC culture by mentoring . You believe in learning and growing together, providing constructive feedback, and celebrating team successes. As a strategic lead, you play a crucial role in shaping the company's direction, strategizing, and working closely with senior leaders across multiple functions within the organization.
- Cross-Functional Collaboration: As a strategic lead, you play a crucial role in shaping the company's direction, strategizing, and working closely with senior leaders across multiple functions within the organization. You excel at understanding the broader context and are not afraid to seek help when needed.
MetaMap is building tools that power a borderless world where everyone has equal access to opportunity based on their merits. As a proud equal opportunity employer, we live by these same values, celebrate diversity, and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all of our employees. We are also committed to a fair and inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible.
We evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, age, disability, genetic information (including family medical history), political affiliation, military service, or any other legally protected class. All employment decisions including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.