Innovation is fuelled by the power of possibilities. A few years ago, it was virtually impossible to innovate because building software needed a degree, it was simply too expensive, too complex, too risky and ultimately too inefficient. That’s why only 16% of projects were ever done on budget and 78% failed.
We're changing that. We’re flipping software development on its head and kicking out the notion that you need to be an expert or do boot camps to learn how to make your app. Builder.ai’s platform lets you order the perfect software app for whatever problem you’re trying to solve. Our AI powered assembly line brings together Lego-like reusable features and experts from around the world to bring world-class ideas to life – ANYONE’s world-class ideas.
Building software needs to be like ordering pizza – pick what you want, get recommendations for the features you need and simply wait till it's cooked and ready for you.
Our human-assisted AI platform helps anyone build, run & scale tailor-made software. Everyone from the bakery in Riyadh and nursery in London, to large fortune 100 companies like the BBC or Pepsi.
Life at Builder.ai
At Builder.ai, we’re looking for team players with a point of view, a sense of humility and a let’s-get-stuff done attitude. We celebrate diversity and encourage everyone to do more with less, while creating and championing a culture that empowers everyone to experiment, push boundaries and learn by doing. Every Builder runs to our core value system of HEARTT (Heart, Entrepreneurship, Accountability, Respect, Trust & Transparency). Our scale-up is at the intersection of a quirky startup where designers and machine learning specialists work on problems together and savvy commercial teams working with finance folks to invent new business models.
Why We Need You
Our team is expanding, our business is growing stronger daily and so is the number of applications we manage. So we need you to join our team of Engineers to help evolve and maintain our systems. We have complex problems to solve and need your expertise in a wide variety of areas to help solve them. There are a lot of moving parts and we need your tenacity to help us find ways to make them stronger, faster and more resilient.
Our Platform & DevOps team build and maintain the tools and infrastructure that support our entire ecosystem. We currently service in excess of 2.5k, actively developed, customer applications as well as the infrastructure that supports them. With CI/CD automation designed to make getting infrastructure deployed a “self-service” exercise for our legion of software engineers.
You will be responsible for all the tooling and automation involved with our stack of applications and services. This covers everything from designing and maintaining the IaC and infrastructure to building and implementing tools to aid a seamless fault-tolerant deployment process for both infrastructure and applications. There will be a strong element of the constant evolution of our platform, including maintenance and periodic upgrades to components, ensuring the best experience for our engineers and customers.
This will be a challenging role where you have to use all of your experience and be able to think on your feet when it comes to problem-solving. You will need to have a hunger to learn and be a quick study at learning new tools and technologies. Applying those new tools and technologies will also require confidence in your skills and abilities. Have the courage to introduce new techniques and ways of working, yet still, be humble enough to know that keeping the business operating takes priority over everything.
You will have a background in either Software or Infrastructure Engineering with a strong focus on good DevOps practices.
We expect you to:
- Know the DevOps lifecycle completely and its various permutations
- Be accomplished in building and developing automated pipelines for Infrastructure management & software deployment; including
- CI/CD Workflows
- GitOps Workflows
- Using container-based pipelines (i.e GitHub Actions, Gitlab Runners, etc)
- Container & package registry management
- Not only have experience using Kubernetes but also in managing and maintaining a cluster.
- Have the skills to build and maintain the infrastructure required to run one of our Kubernetes clusters
- Understand ways in which to monitor infrastructure and applications, track metrics and build alerts into the monitoring solutions.
- “Test, Test and Test again”
- Hold yourself to the highest levels of security in all your work.
- Have a strong understanding of scripting languages, with Python & Bash being minimum prerequisites.
- Bring software engineering best practices to the table: unit testing, code reviews, design documentation, excellent debugging, and troubleshooting skills
- Value good documentation and contribute to our internal knowledge bases with articles, how-tos, runbooks and much more.
- Be passionate about loosely held values and ideas. We want someone who has experience but is not blinded by the path already taken.
- Make decisions based on data. Expertise in data-driven decision-making in a sales or partnership environment. You prefer making decisions based on deep analysis when it comes to evaluating sales achievements and course correcting
For this role, it will be essential that you:
- Can read & write in the Python programming language
- Have experience working with and building Kubernetes clusters
- Demonstrate experience in building CI/CD pipelines using tools like GitHub or Gitlab
Our current stack consists of the following tools and technologies, it’s not a definitive list but gives you an idea of what you will be working with. Any experience you have with any of these is highly advantageous, but if you come up short with any of these don’t worry as you will get support in upskilling in these tools.
- Git, Gitlab & GitLab Runners
- Containers. Kubernetes (including AKS & EKS) & Kops
- Python & Bash (and maybe a smattering of Go)
- Azure, AWS & Digital Ocean Cloud Environments
- Networking, including service meshes & load-balancing
- Terraform, Ansible and IaC management
- Helm/Helmfile & Kubernetes manifests
- Prometheus, Grafana & Loki
- Various types of data storage
The best benefit of the role is working with an awesome team to build something unique, along with this you will also get:
- Performance-based bonuses; paid quarterly
- Stock options in a $100 million funded Series C scale-up company
- Remote working, with occasional team days in one of our offices
- 24 days annual leave + bank holidays
- Private medical & dental insurance provided by AXA
- Access to our Perkbox
- A ”work from home” equipment allowance
- The ability to work towards relevant industry certifications