Corporate and Securities Counsel
Innovation is fuelled by the power of possibilities. A few years ago, it was virtually impossible to innovate because building software needed a degree, it was simply too expensive, too complex, too risky and ultimately too inefficient. That’s why only 16% of projects were ever done on budget and 78% failed.
We're changing that. We’re flipping software development on its head and kicking out the notion that you need to be an expert or do boot camps to learn how to make your app. Builder.ai’s platform lets you order the perfect software app for whatever problem you’re trying to solve. Our AI powered assembly line brings together Lego-like reusable features and experts from around the world to bring world-class ideas to life – ANYONE’s world-class ideas.
Building software needs to be like ordering pizza – pick what you want, get recommendations for the features you need and simply wait till it's cooked and ready for you.
Our human-assisted AI platform helps anyone build, run & scale tailor-made software. Everyone from the bakery in Riyadh and nursery in London, to large fortune 100 companies like the BBC or Pepsi.
Life at Builder.ai
At Builder.ai, we’re looking for team players with a point of view, a sense of humility and a let’s-get-stuff done attitude. We celebrate diversity and encourage everyone to do more with less, while creating and championing a culture that empowers everyone to experiment, push boundaries and learn by doing. Every Builder runs to our core value system of HEARTT (Heart, Entrepreneurship, Accountability, Respect, Trust & Transparency). Our scale-up is at the intersection of a quirky startup where designers and machine learning specialists work on problems together and savvy commercial teams working with finance folks to invent new business models.
About the role
We are looking for a talented and experienced attorney to join our team and provide leadership on a wide range of corporate, securities, and governance matters, including export control. The role would report directly to the General Counsel. The responsibilities will include all corporate and securities matters for a pre-IPO company, including ensuring compliance with applicable SEC and NYSE rules and regulations; assisting with matters related to the board of directors; and advising on corporate governance, mergers and acquisitions, fund raising, due diligence, new entity formation, and export control. You’ll play an important role in our corporate and legal team, enabling our internal business teams and forming strong relationships throughout. This role is fully remote, but the successful candidate must be in the US.
Why join us?
The legal department is growing! This is a varied & important role for the business which will focus on; intellectual property, data privacy, compliance and governance. If you're looking to join a fast-paced scale up at a stage where you can learn new skills & really make a difference, get in touch today!
- Implement process and procedures for reporting pursuant to, and in compliance with, rules and regulations of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
- Collaborate with other colleagues to prepare Board and Committee meeting materials such as agendas, corporate governance related materials, corporate resolutions and meeting minutes for Board of Director and Committee meetings.
- Manage all legal aspects related to fundraising, due diligence, and M&A activity worldwide.
- Collaborate with other members of the legal, finance (tax, treasury, etc.), HR, and operations teams to complete inter-company, tax, treasury, equity, corporate finance, M&A and other strategic initiatives around the globe.
- Assume responsibility for subsidiary entity formation and management around the globe, working with the team.
- Partner with HR and Finance to administer the Company equity compensation program.
- Manage all legal aspects relating to the export control compliance program.
- Responding to various ad-hoc queries where the role must identify, analyze, and assess risk in connection with business transactions, including in connection with internal approvals to assist approvers in making decisions on an informed basis.
- Must have the ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment and to tolerate change and ambiguity.
- Strong experience with regulatory compliance issues including, but not limited to, state and federal laws related to securities, FCPA, export control, state trade and competition regulations and statutes.
- Demonstrated ability to work autonomously as well as part of a team, to effectively coach and mentor others (including non-attorneys), and a sense of humor and resiliency, especially under tight deadlines and while managing multiple priorities.
- Other duties as assigned by the Chief Legal Officer and the Assistant Corporate Secretary.
- Legal Skills: Admitted to the bar of a US State with a minimum of 6 years of experience with regulatory requirements and compliance issues for a public company.
- Curiosity: Excited about working in new areas of law and keeping abreast of applicable laws, regulations, industry guidance, and tech trends.
- Goal Driven: Identify tasks and prioritize a high-volume workload with limited resources, balancing urgent priorities from multiple stakeholders to a high standard and on time with minimal supervision
- Relationship Building: Support internal customers by combining critical thinking skills, solid legal analysis, business acumen, and a high level of initiative and proactive approach to problem solving.
- Experience with some or all of the following:
- Securities law (M&A, private placement, financial transactions) for both issuers and investors
- Export Control
- Health and Wellness benefits including competitive medical, dental, and vision plans
- Performance-based bonuses and stock options
- Generous vacation and time off including 24 days of paid annual leave + bank holidays + 2 family days off and time off between Christmas & New Year
- Generally flexible working hours
- A collaborative culture where unconventional thinkers come together to solve interesting problems and having fun while doing it
- Mission-driven company that is making the world a better place