Head of Data Engineering
Innovation is fuelled by the power of possibilities. A few years ago, it was virtually impossible to innovate because building software needed a degree, it was simply too expensive, too complex, too risky and ultimately too inefficient. That’s why only 16% of projects were ever done on budget and 78% failed.
We're changing that. We’re flipping software development on its head and kicking out the notion that you need to be an expert or do boot camps to learn how to make your app. Builder.ai’s platform lets you order the perfect software app for whatever problem you’re trying to solve. Our AI powered assembly line brings together Lego-like reusable features and experts from around the world to bring world-class ideas to life – ANYONE’s world-class ideas.
Building software needs to be like ordering pizza – pick what you want, get recommendations for the features you need and simply wait till it's cooked and ready for you.
Our human-assisted AI platform helps anyone build, run & scale tailor-made software. Everyone from the bakery in Riyadh and nursery in London, to large fortune 100 companies like the BBC or Pepsi.
Life at Builder.ai
At Builder.ai, we’re looking for team players with a point of view, a sense of humility and a let’s-get-stuff done attitude. We celebrate diversity and encourage everyone to do more with less, while creating and championing a culture that empowers everyone to experiment, push boundaries and learn by doing. Every Builder runs to our core value system of HEARTT (Heart, Entrepreneurship, Accountability, Respect, Trust & Transparency). Our scale-up is at the intersection of a quirky startup where designers and machine learning specialists work on problems together and savvy commercial teams working with finance folks to invent new business models.
About the role
We are looking for an enthusiastic, diligent & driven Head of Data Engineering to join the Builder.ai Data team in London.
We are a data-driven organisation, using Knowledge Graphs and AI powered by vast quantities of data, to change the way that software and data platforms are built. We have ambitious plans to develop platforms and services that not only suit our needs, but also the needs of our customers as well.
This role will report into the Director of Data and Analytics and lead the Data Engineering function of the Data & Analytics team.
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- Provide leadership to the data engineering domain
- Coach, mentor and inspire members of your team
- Lead the design and implementation of streaming, Big Data management and proprietary data systems
- Provide thought leadership in data tooling, systems and techniques, including architectural patterns that work with Software Engineers and Data Science teams
- Effectively prioritise and deliver to a clear roadmap of deliverables
- Communicate with stakeholders at a suitable level of detail to ensure requirements are well understood and stakeholders have accurate expectations on dates and functionality.
- Experience in designing, building and launching highly available, distributed systems of data extraction, transformation and loading of datasets
- Familiarity with DataOps methods and data quality improvement techniques
- Proficiency in building custom data frameworks and platforms
- Agile methodologies and continuous delivery
- Continuous integration pipelines and technologies
- Expert knowledge of programming languages (Python etc.)
- Proficiency with cloud services (ideally AWS)Proficiency with large-scale streaming data (Kafka, Kinesis, etc.)
- Proficiency with Big Data systems (Spark, Hadoop, Pig, etc.)
- Proficiency with structured or custom ETL management (Airflow, Luigi, etc.)
- Proficiency with SQL databases (Relational, Snowflake, etc.)
- Excellent communication and leadership skills: with the ability to initiate and drive projects proactively
Nice to have
- Several years of experience in managing and developing an engineering team
- Health and Wellness benefits including competitive medical, dental, and vision plans
- Performance-based bonuses and stock options
- Generous vacation and time off including 24 days of paid annual leave + bank holidays + 2 family days off and time off between Christmas & New Year
- Generally flexible working hours
- A collaborative culture where unconventional thinkers come together to solve interesting problems and having fun while doing it
- Mission-driven company that is making the world a better place